Hi

        Just a new comment about patches:

Reason why I used names like:

AB01-2_blah.patch

was to make it easy to distinguih with a single

ls <version_1>/patches > d1
ls <version_2>/patches > d2

diff d1 d2

showed me what patches changed between one and the other, the only
thing that had to happen was that if a patch change, its name *must*
also change.

As other people (myself included) forgotted to update names when
rediffing, I do now a:

cd <version_1>/patches; md5sum * > d1
cd <version_2>/patches; md5sum * > d2

diff d1 d2

Then it is not necessary to have the ugly

AB01-2_blah.patch  names.

AB01_blah.patch should be enough.

svetoslav> i don't have one (can you send me yours :) )

attached :)

Now that we are on that, will show full set of alias & shell functions
for your .bashrc

way that I release kernel:

tar xvfj linux-2.4.21.tar.bz2

# kcp hardlinks the trees, making operation very fast and very space
# efficient, you need an editor than understand hardlinks (i.e. when
# it oppens a file with numer of links > 1, it copies the file when
# you modify it, don't update inplace).  emacs knows how to do it, vim
# by default no.

kcp linux-2.4.21 w1
cd w1
<patch>/2.4.21-q1/scripts/apply_patches

some patch fail, namely AB01_something.patch

fix rejects

cd ..
d1 w1/<path_file_1> .ab01
# only diff between d1 & d2 is that d1 remove the /tmp/d file if it
# already exists
d2 w1/<path_file_2> .ab01

edit AB01_something.patch
see if the changes are good, and change the differences of the files.

continue apply_patches with next patch.

Here are the aliases.

# write protect a directory, very useful with kcp below

kprotect ()
{
        local directory=$1
        find $directory -type f | xargs chmod a-w
}

# Made the diff of of file.orig and file
temp_file=/tmp/d

# Extra Bonus: does somebody how to convince diff to type the diff
# line when diffing a single file?

d2 () {
        local filename=$1
        local version=$2
        echo "diff -uNp ${filename}${version}.orig ${filename}" >> $temp_file
        /usr/bin/diff -uNp ${filename}${version}.orig ${filename} >> $temp_file
}

d1 () {
        local filename=$1
        local version=$2
        # truncate dest file
        cp -f /dev/null $temp_file
        d2 $filename $version
}

# The k* build kernel functions

alias knone='~/bin/r --without up --without smp --without enterprise --without BOOT
--without secure --without source --without doc SPECS/kernel-2.4.spec'

alias kup='knone --with up'
alias kboot='knone --with BOOT'
alias ksmp='knone --with smp'
alias kent='knone --with enterprise'
alias ksecure='knone --with secure'

# now you can compile only an SMP kernel with with debug with
# ksmp -bb --with debug
# ~/bin/r is simply a shell script with that allows me to compile
# things in any dir.

#!/bin/sh

export LC_ALL=C
exec rpm --define "_topdir $PWD" --define "_tmppath $PWD/tmp" $*

# end r

alias rdiff='/usr/bin/diff -urNp --exclude=CVS --exclude="*~" --exclude=".#*"
--exclude=TAGS'
alias diff='/usr/bin/diff -up'
alias kdiff='/usr/bin/diff -urNp --exclude-from=$HOME/config/misc/dontdiff'
alias kcp='cp -dpilR'
alias minstall="make INSTALL_MOD_PATH=/tmp/kk modules_install"

# kdiff is very good to diff kernel-trees, it is very fast if you are
# using hard-linked trees (i.e. created with kcp), and the dontdiff
# file just told files that you are not interesested in.
#
# ExtraBonus:  How to put a directory with a dir/file thing.

svetoslav> hm, i think it shouldn't be a problem, but ..
svetoslav> i can not give you a good explanation so ..
svetoslav> you might drop it if you think it might break smth.

svetoslav> (
svetoslav> i couldn't get it running with my CD/DVD writers,
svetoslav> and the patch was not really tested/ it was intended just for review by
Thomas
svetoslav> )

I did a couple of small changes in it.  Will try harder later.

Later, Juan.

are different -- Larry McVoy