Quel Qun wrote:

As of tonight, many services are not started in runlevel 3 although they
are listed as on by chkconfig. I had to start syslog, xinetd, network
and xfs manually, and surely some others are missing.

Since syslog is one of the missing in action, it is quite difficult to
guess what is going on.

initscripts-7.06-21mdk

Also, I don't know if this is related, but the old 'bash: TMOUT:
readonly variable' is back everytime I start a new terminal.

the 22mdk version of initscripts corrects most of the problems introduced with 21mdk, but still does not shutdown the machine cleanly.

Eric