Of course, I was not thinking when I sent this out and did not include specifics of the problem with the sound.

Testing with XMMS:
ALSA: No output to speakers.
OSS: Normal playback but with interspersed and frequent garbled sound.
Artsd (with OSS selected as Audio I/O): Works perfectly (-wierd-).
Artsd (autoselect I/O): Just loud static, no other sound.

Testing with MPlayer:
ALSA: Audio appears to be working, but Audio and Video go at ~1.2x speed.
OSS: Works normally.
Artsd (Any I/O setting): Loud static.

Basically any use of Artsd results in a large amount of loud static and nothing else. Setting OSS as the Audio I/O seems to work for the first few outputs, then it reverts to the static.
All of the below information still applies.

Michael Altizer wrote:

Thomas Backlund wrote:

<snip>
but when you use the blank.img you can't easily support any modules,
or initrd, so you have to build a custom kernel, where you can use the
above mentioned config as a start, but you have to remove is's module
and initrd support...(chosing 'N' in the xconfig/menuconfig/config)

and every h/w and fs you need to support during installation,
has to be compiled in... (chosing 'Y' in the xconfig/menuconfig/config)

Now, the next question is of course...
why do you need to do all this?
Doesn't the installerkernel support your system?

Regards

Thomas

I was troubleshooting since I was having numerous problems when trying to install, but it turned out to be that my RAM was being run at .1V too low :). (Silly Gigabyte 8KNXP board defaults to 2.5V for memory modules.) I was still getting an error with network.img after fixing this, the installation exiting after downloading, it seems, only part of the second stage install (exits with error about not being able to execute /bin/installstage2 or somesuch), but I was able to install from newly burned RC2 CDs.
On a semi-related note, has anyone found a way to use the integrated soundcard on a Gigabyte 8KNXP board? lspci reports:
/00:1f.5 Multimedia audio controller: Intel Corp. 82801EB AC'97 Audio Controller (rev 02)/
Motherboard info says the chip is Realtek ALC655 CODEC (i875P)
ALSA wants to use snd-intel8x0 module, but also appears to be loading up a number of oss modules.
/snd-seq-oss 37088 0 (unused)
snd-seq-midi-event 6592 0 [snd-seq-oss]
snd-seq 49904 2 [snd-seq-oss snd-seq-midi-event]
snd-pcm-oss 46820 0
snd-mixer-oss 15992 0 [snd-pcm-oss]
snd-intel8x0 24004 0
snd-ac97-codec 50072 0 [snd-intel8x0]
snd-pcm 89856 0 [snd-pcm-oss snd-intel8x0]
snd-page-alloc 10068 0 [snd-intel8x0 snd-pcm]
snd-timer 21092 0 [snd-seq snd-pcm]
snd-mpu401-uart 5436 0 [snd-intel8x0]
snd-rawmidi 19520 0 [snd-mpu401-uart]
snd-seq-device 6300 0 [snd-seq-oss snd-seq snd-rawmidi]
snd 45476 0 [snd-seq-oss snd-seq-midi-event snd-seq snd-pcm-oss snd-mixer-oss snd-intel8x0 snd-ac97-codec snd-pcm snd-timer snd-mpu401-uart snd-rawmidi snd-seq-device]
soundcore 7236 0 [snd]
/
-Michael