On Monday 03 November 2003 05:01 am, Buchan Milne wrote:
> Not really. You can temorarily get it back working by minimizing and
> switching back to the window you were using, sometimes you need to do it
> more than once (and there are other methods). But AFAIK this is not
> processort specific, and may be GTK2/KDE bug.

hm interesting that should be about right. and I think i may have used that
before now that I think about it.

I think that was my7 point is that it was not processor specific since i have
been doing some custom athlon builds that are highly optimized and it has not
changed this as far as I can tell. I dont get this with firebird though.

> > Because
> > of this I almost never use the mandrake rpm's for mozilla.
>
> So, which binaries work ok then? Mozilla 1.0.x->1.2.x worked fine using
> Mandrake builds, so I think it is a GTK2 issue (and you wouldn't see it
> on GTK1.x builds).

well the generic nightlies from mozilla.org. I rarely run the official builds.
They all within reason seem to run about the same sometimes I'll get one that
was a bad build but it's not often.

> My regular use is at least 2 windows open, usually > 25 tabs open total.
> I probably have to do the minimize->ALT-SHIFT-TAB trick about once every
> two hours or so of use.
>
> Fred tried to reproduce it, but didn't succeed, and I don't think he'll
> take kindly to running KDE and Mozilla for a week to find it ... he
> complained as it was about having to run Mozilla instead of epiphany ;-).
Ah yes I suppose when they dont use it for thier own work then they dont care
as much when it is broken.

On this filosiphy I have been working on a custom auto install of windows xp
also. It consumed allot of time but you know what after working with it and
getting it working well I decided that I had a choice of what I want to
support with that level of above and beyond the call of duty type or support.
I decided that I would rather have a working linux and so to that end I have
been putting extra time lately into the linux apps I want to see working
well. If I dont like the way gimp for instance is done well then I'll offer
my help to get it to the place were others will find it more useful also.

It's a hard choice but I know which os I want to support. I would see this as
the same. They dont want to support kde and so they dont. It's that simple. I
feel the same about gnome and when I roll out a server it runs kde and my
customers love the way it acts more or less like windows.

--
                                      Brook Humphrey