On Thu, 2003-11-06 at 10:33, Duncan wrote:
> I compile my own kernel from kernel.org sources, so haven't been following
> this real closely, but AFAIK, any of the Mdk kernels work if ext3 support
> is compiled directly into the kernel, rather than as a module.

I also compile my own from kernel.org and have always compiled ext3 into
the kernel because I've never seen a good reason to compile it as a
module. In fact the help screen on ext3 says "Be aware however that the
file system of your root partition (the one containing the directory /)
cannot be compiled as a module, and so this may be dangerous". So if it
is compiled as a module in mdk, against this advice, perhaps the
maintainer(s) can give their explanation as to why this advice from the
kernel team is wrong.

--
Dave Cotton
Directeur