Harijs Buss wrote:

> Do you really think it is good to have anything (un)markable on
installation
> package list that in fact cannot be unmarked (because it seems to be now
> specifically tied to all graphical environment)?  What is doing
"bootsplash"
> on this package list if it is now intended to be unmarkable? Keep it
off the
> list and there will be no questions like mine.

What about the case of a server with no X, where the admin *does* want
bootsplash?

What about the case of desktop machine that boots into a remote display
manager? The admin may want a nice graphical boot even though no window
manager is installed on the local machine.

Bootsplash *can* be removed, and there are situations where you might
want to select it or not select it.

>>>You can always 'rpm -e --nodeps bootsplash' if you want.
>

> Yes, thank you for advice (all of them). To be resistant to unwanted,
imposed
> changes is certainly good incentive to learn more about Linux beyond
initial
> users GUI experience :)
>

>>How about the desktop backgrounds?
>

> Wrong example. Bootsplash is in no way _necessary_ part of boot process.

But it isn't (currently) required by any package used only in the boot
process, it's only required by the desktop packages, so that the typical
home machine gets it by default (even on upgrades from a machine which
didn't have it).

> There is IMHO no any clear aim to make it mandatory, except of course
writing
> Mandrake 9.2 on it (but it is written also during text boot).

I don't know the answer to that, ask the Mandrake interface team (if
they will give you an answer).

> I have nothing against bootsplash if somebody likes it. But I have
objection
> to have bootsplash forcefully imposed on all possible Mandrake users
> including me.

The use of bootsplash isn't forced on you. Only the installation of it.

> Even to get rid of it I now need to install it in the first
> place (this "improvement" is true only starting with 9.2).  Small step
in the
> same direction as so painfully known program called "IE".  Mind you I
left
> Windows world partly because of such mandatory "features" imposed
against my
> own will.

So, removing IE from Windows 98SE is a 30 second job? I don't think so.

>  And don't tell me that this long dependancy chain you presented
> cannot be corrected ;-)

Of course it can, but the question (as I said before) is whether
Mandrake considers it a feature or not. Since it was *added* for 9.2, I
would guess so.

>>binary, maybe initscripts should depend on bootsplash instead? Then we can
>>have it on servers too ;-).
>
> Actually you might be surprised how many Linux servers (including
Mandrakes)
> have full-scale graphical environment installed and in use nowadays.
Memory
> is cheap and CPU's are affordable. Admin's time and good perception of
> overall situation is much more expensive.

But many admins have bad habits (logging in to X as root for example,
not securing X correctly when using it on a server). GUI administration
can be done just as easily, and probably more securely, without X
installed on the server, using X tunneled over SSH.

And a lot of administration tasks can be done much more efficiently
without a GUI environment (eg via scripting) than with one.

About the only GUI tool we use on our servers is diskdrake, because it
is convenient to use to resize LVM volumes.

Regards,
Buchan

- --
Cellphone * Work            +27 82 472 2231 * +27 21 8828820x202