On Mon, 2003-11-17 at 12:27, FACORAT Fabrice wrote:
> Le lun 17/11/2003 à 09:18, Frederic Crozat a écrit :
> > On Sat, 15 Nov 2003 17:22:48 +0000, FACORAT Fabrice wrote:
> >

> > > /usr/share/icons at this time is a total mess !
> > > Indeed, at the same time you have :
> > > - kde icons themes
> > > - gnome icons themes
> > > - XFree cursors
> >
> > In case you didn't knew, GNOME and KDE are now starting to use a common
> > specification to share icons
> > (http://www.freedesktop.org/Standards/icon-theme-spec). But since
> > everything is not done yet, there are problems. And doing symlinks will
> > not help the situation. I think you should read the spec and fill bugs on
> > bugs.kde.org and bugzilla.gnome.org where you find problems for both
> > environments.
>
> !!!
> I'm sure that there are at least 20 icons in one size with the wrong
> name.
>
> Ok i will do it, but for a folder/directory, what's the right name ?
> folder.png ( KDE ) ? directory.png ? gnome-fs-directory.png ( Gnome ) ?
> I read the spec, they talk about the index.theme ( ok, it's present ),
> but they don't give a list of standard icons name ( name for folder,
> home directory, nfs/smb directory, floppy device, HD device, DVD device,
> ... ) at least for filesystem and devices. We should have standard names
> and freedesktop.org should give the list of theses standard names : so a
> theme could be use without modification between both desktop and
> supplementary icons ( desktop specific ) could be safely ignored by a
> DE.
>
> So If I don't know the right name that an icon should have, how can i
> konw that this is kde or gnome bug ? and how icon designer could know
> wich name to give to their icons ?

I tried to come up with a standard for at least some common icon names
when making the standard. Unfortunately I failed (a lot of people didn't
seem to understand the need for such a thing), so now everything is
fucked up. I don't expect fixing this will be easy by now, since these
names are used in stable releases of both kde and gnome.

                   [EMAIL PROTECTED]    [EMAIL PROTECTED]
He's a suicidal devious werewolf on the wrong side of the law. She's a cynical
junkie archaeologist on her way to prison for a murder she didn't commit. They
fight crime!