Pixel et. al.,
I just did a clean install to fix my gnome mess.  Saw many wonderful
improvements, and a few more problems.

Good: soundcard/soundsystem choice
(thanks for that, the linux-audio list will be happier)
Bad: doesn't work as well as draksound does (yet?)
Details: It doesn't explain that the default is the oss driver, and that
the alternative driver is alsa.  The alternative driver suggested to me
just showed up as snd(), but when I went to the list of drivers, it was
already sitting on the right one, snd-cmipci.

Good: many BACK buttons now go back
Bad: some don't
Detail: at 'do you want to configure a printer' select YES.  On the next
screen, select BACK.  It goes directly to the summary page.  That's not
back.  That's more like cancel.

Good: ftp install works perfectly, as always
Bad: http install doesn't ask for a username, or doesn't default to
anonymous:[EMAIL PROTECTED], so I can't use http install on redbox.cz
Detail: I think it's always been like this, but http would be nice, and
this has two easy solutions: default to anonymous, or ask

Bad: network install doesn't properly configure urpmi database
Detail: this has been a problem for many versions.  I don't see why this
can't work.  I just installed from an ftp site, urpmi should be setup to
use that in the future.  The problem is that I logged in with
username: anonymous
passwork: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
and uprmi gets setup for
ftp://anonymous:[EMAIL PROTECTED]@mandrake.redbox.cz/......
I know it's nice to hide the password, but it's also stupid to have to
urpmi.remove that, and then urpmi.addmedia it right back.

Anyway, thanks for listening to my previous reports!
Austin

--
                        Austin Acton Hon.B.Sc.
             Synthetic Organic Chemist, Teaching Assistant