About the SMP issues wih Mandrake 9.x
I know of a few universities and companies like SGI testing out the
SMP-scalability. Usually, you can use the Tyan Thunder Pro i7501 motherboards or their Tiger i7501 motherboard for high-end dual processors. You can also use the Tyan Grand Champion Thunder GC-HE motherboard (S4520) which is one of my personal favorites (4-cpu motherboard w/ 24GB RAM design, http://www.tyan.com/products/html/thundergche.html).

Most 'real-world' testing will be with 4-8 CPU servers and up to 32GB memory. This is what I'm using Mandrake 9.1b3 for now on the Tyan boards and OEM servers. They make a good match for SMP work with Mandrake in some ISPs.

Ken