On 08. feb 2003 12:40, Robert Fox wrote:

> What I have observed is - when I disable the firewall -  I get very fast
> throughputs (up to 10MB) when updating sources, or downloading packages
> within the local network.
>
> When the firewall is enabled - the performance is dramatically slower
> (seems to go in bursts) - I would expect the firewall to be slower due
> the packet inspection overhead - but this seems VERY dramatic as far as
> the performance difference.

.. but network performance isn't only about connection speed. if your
performance fall off as you wrote, your hardware is maybe not too much
efficient (ram speed, cpu speed, pci performance), but mainly: this
isn't distribution bug ..

if your main requisition is performance then disable packet filtering,
upgrade hardware, or change architecture.