A big power surge knocked out my /usr partition yesterday (ext3 my
ass!), so I had to reinstall this morning... decided to go with the RC1
CD's for fun.  It was a shaky ride for a release candidate I think...

1.  Draksound is not user friendly at all.  A novice would never
understand what is going on.  It's very confusing.  It says my current
driver is ALSA snd-cmipci (true), but then it just shows a dialog with
cmipci().  It doesn't ask the user a question or imply the options.  I
think the dialog should say:
"You have the following options for your sound card driver:"
Then a dialog box with these two options should show up:
snd-cmipci (ALSA sound system)
cmipci (OSS sound system)
You could also add something like "If you are unsure which to chose,
select the ALSA driver" or something similar.  Mandrake is supposed to
be easy to use.

2.  Grammar in Draksound.  "Your card currently use the..." should be
"You card is currently using the..."

3.  In summary, TV card shows up as "not configured".  So I go to
configure and configure it.  This takes me back to the summary screen
which still says TV card "not configured".  After rebooting, the bttv
driver is loaded however.

4.  Same thing for firewall.  I click confiugre, setup my firewall, and
when I get back to the summary screen it still says "firewall
disabled".  And after rebooting, shorewall is NOT running.  Granted I'm
on 'high' security level, but if I setup a firewall with the installer,
it should be installed!

5.  After the summary page, the installer froze.  These were the
commands being executed:
chkconfig --add shorewall with root /mnt
chkconfig
msec
chkconfig
chkconfig
chkconfig
chkconfig --del netfs with root /mnt
chkconfig
(report.bug output available)

6.  On bootup, kernel reports alsa rc6.  Aren't we using rc7?

7.  SMP was not detected, and SMP kernel was not installed.  This IS a
showstopper.  I reported this a month ago.  It's also in bugzilla.
Either it has to be fixed, or you have to give the user an option to
install the SMP kernel without autodetection.

On a lighter note, Drakx looks prettier, and I really like having fewer
options and the bigger summary page.

Austin

--
                        Austin Acton Hon.B.Sc.
             Synthetic Organic Chemist, Teaching Assistant