To: <cookinginthedark@acbradio.org>
Sent: Thursday, November 10, 2011 5:56 PM
Subject: Re: [CnD] Favourite Christmas cookie request

Hi Donald, That's a terrific idea.  So, here goes!

I love Mexican Wedding Cookies, and a couple of Christmases ago, I
tried this wonderful variation on a theme.  I hope you will enjoy
these delicious, chocolatey, cinnamony, buttery cookies!
Penny

Chocolate Mexican Wedding Cookies
Servings: 36
Difficulty Level: Intermediate
2 sticks (1 cup) unsalted butter, softened at room temperature, divided
use 1/2 cup good quality unsweetened cocoa powder
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
2 cups pecans
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups flour
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup powdered sugar
1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
Heat oven to 350 degrees. Melt 4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) of the butter
in small saucepan, remove from heat and add 1/2 cup cocoa powder and
cinnamon; stir and set aside to cool to room temperature. Toast pecans
in preheated oven for 5 minutes; set aside to cool. (Leave the oven on
you'll be baking the cookies shortly.) When pecans are cool, chop them
in a food processor or with a knife until very fine. In mixing bowl,
cream remaining 12 tablespoons butter at medium speed of mixer for 2
to 3 minutes. Add melted butter/cocoa mixture and vanilla and mix
well. Add flour, sugar and salt and mix until incorporated, then add
chopped pecans and mix in thoroughly. Form dough into walnut-sized
balls. Place balls on parchment paper-lined cookie sheets and
refrigerate them 15 minutes. Meanwhile, sift powdered sugar and 1/4
cup cocoa powder into pie pan, mix well and set aside. Remove cookies
from refrigerator and bake 12 minutes. Let cookies cool for
approximately 5 to 10 minutes. While still warm, roll cookies in
sifted powdered sugar/cocoa mixture. Be careful, as cookies are
fragile. Let cool completely and roll in the sugar/cocoa mix one more
time. Nutrition Information Makes 36 cookies, each 130 calories (64.3
percent calories from fat), 10 g fat, 15 mg cholesterol, 15 mg sodium,
11 g carbohydrates, 1 g dietary fiber, 1 g protein.