To: "citd" <cookinginthedark@acbradio.org>
Sent: Friday, June 20, 2014 2:26 PM
Subject: [CnD] Cuban black bean soup

2 cups of black beans, soaked over night.
I usually soak them in boiling water for a hour. At my age I usually forget the beans until the next day.
1/3 to 1/2 cup of olive oil
1 onion
1 green pepper
4 cloves garlic
1 ham hock. I use 4 tablespoons of chicken bullion instead.

Put the beans in a heavy pot. I use the crockpot, myself on high.
Place the soaked beans in the pot after draining. Add enough water to cover the beans by one inch. Add the chopped onions, garlic, and peppers. bullion or the ham hock, your choice. Stir in the olive oil and salt and black pepper to taste. I don't use the salt, but pepper the hell out of it. Smile. Cook until some of the black beans break down. In the crock. About 5 to 5 1/2 hours. In the pot, about 2 1/2 hours. You can tell because the soup gets creamy when the beans break down. If using the stove, check the water level, you might have to add a little more water.
Serve with some vinegar, chopped onions, and chopped red pepper.
Plus I usually cook up some brown rice to pour the soup over.

I found if you want fluffy brown rice.
Soak the rice for a hour or more before cooking
Instead of the 3 cups of liquid, Use 2 1/2 cups.
Instead of the 45 minutes. Cook for about 28 minutes or until liquid is absorb by the rice. I will bring the liquid to a boil and than turn the heat down to the lowest simmer on my stove, which is gas. If using electric, I found it is best to set the pan on a different burner after bringing the rice to a boil, set for a low simmer
RJ

---