From: Nicole Massey via Cookinginthedark [mailto:cookinginthedark@acbradio.org]
Sent: Tuesday, July 19, 2016 5:02 PM
To: cookinginthedark@acbradio.org
Cc: Nicole Massey <ny...@gypsyheir.com>
Subject: [CnD] My thoughts on Recipes on the List

I've been reading the responses, at least the ones I get, (I filter some folks
here because of their interaction style, so I don't get everything in my inbox)
and there are a few things that I think might be good to consider.
First, not everyone here is completely blind. Blindness is a wide array of
visual situations, so what may be completely inaccessible for someone might be
no problem for another. Are we also expected to account for neuropathy, which
is a common adjunct to a couple of the most common reasons for later onset
blindness? If we do then we're going to get very few recipes after all the
possible factors are accounted for.
We are blind people functioning in a sighted world. This means it's a good idea
for developing coping mechanisms. If a recipe is completely free of any sighted
elements that's great, and I support the "Tried and True" label in the message
subject for those recipes. But we don't live in a world where others are going
to do things just so we can participate equally, so we have to work out or ask
to find out what these visual cues mean in terms of time, texture, and scent. I
make sure to do this whenever I'm posting a recipe from one of the cooking
sessions I attend once a month. But I also ask the chef what "when the juices
run clear" means and other useful things like the palm test for grilled steaks,
as just one example. Learning these skills will open up Avast array of recipes
for you to use and make you far less dependent on assistance from others.
One more thing -- Dale Campbell owns this list. Steve Stewart moderates it. And
they've been crystal clear in their list rules -- if you've got a problem, take
it to them. Don't. Post. It. On. The. List. "Maling list cops" tend to solve
nothing and create more discord themselves. Let the folks who run the list
handle things, like they've asked us to.