How I cut a pie very much depends on who is eating it and what kind of pie it
is. If it is a pizza, and round, there is a round wooden board you can buy that
is like a cutting board. It has grooves that start at the edge and end in the
center. You begin at the edge and roll your pizza cutter up the groove to the
center, then move to the next groove and repeat the cutting motion. This gives
you one pie shaped pizza slice. If you centered your pizza on the board, and it
didn't slide as you were cutting, you have a nice, dare I say, professional
looking pizza slice. This board has enough grooves to make eight slices. If you
wish, you can also cut your pizza in half or quarters using this board.
For pies, if a sighted person is available I let them cut it because it always
looks better than when I try.
Alternatively, when I do the job, I use a pie shape wedge shaped cutter that is
sharp enough on the sides so I can start at the edge, press the cutting edge
into the pie, lift it up, lay the back edge at the edge of the pie, measure
from my first cut, the width of the pie cutter, and then push the opposite side
of the cutter into the pie, the edge I didn't use for the first cut. If I am
lucky and have measured correctly, the two cuts will automatically meet at the
center point, so I can now lift the cutter out, slide it under the pie between
the two cuts I made, and lift my nicely shaped piece of pie out of the pan on
the server I cut it with, and place it on a serving plate. The second and
subsequent pieces are easier because you only measure and cut one time for
each. This is almost as badly described as it is to accomplish at first. But it
gets easier with practice. I suggest practicing with something more solid, like
brownies baked in a pie tin, or meat loaf, or frozen icebox pie
 s. Pumpkin and pecan pies are also good for practicing because they have a
single crust and are not messy. If you really want an adventure, find a child
and practice with mud clay or sand pies.
Method 3: Just take a table knife, guess where the pie center is, and wing it.
After the first piece it really isn't difficult. That said, a generic pie
server is really all you need because its back is shaped like the inside of
your pie plate and lifting the pie out is easy.  These days I find that some
people want bigger pieces and others just want a sliver so maybe uniform size
slices are not always important. It depends on the people eating. When young I
worried about getting things right, perfect, whatever. Now I am content just to
get things done.

Pamela Fairchild
<pamelafairch...@comcast.net>