Pam,

This is perfect.

-----Original Message-----
From: Pamela Fairchild via Cookinginthedark <cookinginthedark@acbradio.org>
Sent: Tuesday, August 7, 2018 5:26 PM
To: cookinginthedark@acbradio.org
Cc: pamelafairch...@comcast.net
Subject: Re: [CnD] How Do You Know When A Liquid's Been Reduced?

I do not usually make recipes that call for reducing liquids, but before I
tackle the job, I will perform the following task:
1. Choose a pot that will always be used for reducing liquids.
2. Put 3 cups of cool water in the pot.
3. Put the handle of a wooden spoon into the liquid, measure how far up the
handle the liquid comes and put a notch in the handle so you can find that mark
again the next time you need 3 cups of liquid measured.
4. Dump out the liquid and put 2 cups of liquid in your pot. Make a new notch
at this spot on your spoon handle. Now, add another cup of water to your pot.
The liquid should come up to the first notch you made. You have 3 and 2 cups
marked. If you want to mark 1 cup, go ahead. Sometimes you will want to reduce
from 3 to 1 cup. When you have time you might want to cut off the bowl of the
spoon and make this a measuring stick only. You did use the handle end,
right?Your tool, made from a cheap wooden spoon,  is ready, and you want 3 cups
of liquid in your pot.
4. Place the pot on a burner and turn on the heat. As it comes to a boil, turn
it down to a designated temperature.
I usually turn my electric burner so its pointer is pointing down in the 6:00
position.
5. Turn on a timer and have your friend watch to see when about a third of the
liquid has evaporated. No friend, try about 8 minutes. Test with your new tool.
6. Turn off the pan and timer. Write down the time it took to come to the boil,
the time it took to reduce, and the setting you used for the reduction.
Now that you know how much time it takes to reduce a cup of liquid in a given
pot, you can sort of guess about how to do other amounts if you always use the
same pot and stove setting.  By moving a spoon around in the pot you can sort
of tell how much has disappeared.
Just touch with care so you don't burn your finger. If you are lucky the recipe
will tell you about how much time it will take for the reduction. Some things
take only a couple of minutes. The catch here though is that at times you will
need to reduce at a lower temperature if the liquid is getting thick enough to
splash about. When this starts to happen I usually assume the reduction is
sufficient. One day I reduced chicken stock down to make gravy and it almost
all dried away. I almost burned my pan, but boy, was that gravy rich and good.
It was a really close call though because I was distracted and doing too many
things at once.
I really dislike the idea of putting bread or some other item in the pot that
could change the flavor, like cardboard. Now that I have confused everybody,
probably even myself, it is time to shut up.

Pamela Fairchild
<pamelafairch...@comcast.net>