Use of a tasting plate is routine for chefs when new recipes are made.
Having thought about this particular recipe I think I would have used a
tasting plate then added some chives to the recipe.

Use of a tasting plate, chef always tastes first has the advantage for
the chef of the chef tasting a really good recipe if the recipe is
really good before everyone else makes it disappear.  Very small
quantity on tasting plate or with really good recipes like this the chef
will need to wear larger clothes sooner or later.  If the recipe is
really good, it can be scheduled for a repeat in the near future.