Hi George,
The way I prepare my mango is to stand it on end, with the skinnier pit edge
towards me.  Then I cut it from the north pole to the south pole just to the
right of center.  I then turn it 180 degrees and do the same thing for the
other side.  This cuts off the two cheeks leaving a finger width band of flesh
around the skinny edge of the pit.

I lie that on the counter and run the tip of the knife around the perimeter of
the pit.

I now have all the flesh off the pit, and the skin is attached to the flesh.

For the band of flesh I lie that on the cutting board, skin side down.  Hole
the end of the skin with my left (non-dominant) hand, and cut away from me
running the blade of the knife along on the inside of the skin, and under the
flesh.
For the 2 cheeks, I cut a grid of score marks through the flesh towards the
skin.  Maybe 4 cuts east to west, and 3 cuts north to south. I then either use
a spoon and scoop the flesh off the skin, or turn the skin inside out so that
the flesh pops up and the skin is concave.  I can then easily cut off the cubes
of flesh.

I look forward to your son posting his recipes here!

Dixie
@-> + <-@