I have a story for you. This could only happen to a blind person. I am an
experienced cook and I didn't see this one coming.

I was out of bread so decided to bake some from scratch. Ok, it has been a
few years since I have done this but used to bake my own bread much of the
time.

I decided to use a newer loaf pan though, one of the expensive, huge ones
that will hold at least two regular loaf pan's worth of dough. All went
fine. I put the bread in the oven to bake. I cooked it at 350 degrees for 50
minutes, knowing I would need to check it at 35 and butter the top and put
it back in to make the crust delicious.

A friend brought groceries by and came in to put the milk and store bought
bread away. I asked him to check my bread to see if it was brown enough
because it smelled like it might be done a little early.

To make a long story short, the bread had risen above the top of the pan.
That was expected. It would resemble store bought bread in its shape that
way. What I didn't know was that it had risen into the wires of the top oven
rack and there were grooves down into the top of the bread loaf, and the
bread had grown through the slits in the oven rack above. By using long
kitchen mitts he was able to pull both racks out, set the whole thing on the
stovetop, extract the top rack and put it back into the hot oven, leave the
bread out but put the bottom rack back in the oven as well, and help me
decide it was finished baking. I guess the heat from the top rack cooked it
from above. It looks a bit strange, and the top edge became lopsided so I
cut it off from the loaf to use with pepperoni or sausage slices, and the
rest of the loaf turned out fine except for the grooves in the top every two
or so slices. Without sighted help I would have had to let the oven cool and
then try to rescue the bread. Not understanding exactly how it was caught, I
would have made a mess of the whole thing. As it turned out, the bread is
delicious and it didn't get crumbly, which doesn't always happen. You better
believe that I'll take that top rack out of the oven next time I bake bread
in that supersized loaf pan. By the way, the bread came out of the pan
perfectly, no sticking, no breaking of the loaf as it slid out of the pan. I
couldn't have asked for a better experience except for the oven rack issue.
How lucky that my friend came to my house at the absolute perfect time. What
are the chances of that happening? I feel like angels were watching over me.
Not that I was in any real danger, but it could have been a very frustrating
experience.

Pamela Fairchild

<pamelafairch...@comcast.net>