-----Original Message-----
From: Cookinginthedark On Behalf Of Sugar Lopez via Cookinginthedark

MEXICAN STUFFED PEPPERS

Change the number in the box above to adjust serving size. Please note that
size of cookware and cook time may vary.

Prep Time 5 Minutes

Cook Time 55 Minutes

Total Time 1 Hour

Servings 8

6 to 8 bell peppers any color

*Sugar’s Note: I like the red or yellow one’s, much sweeter than the green(my
thought)

1-1/4 pounds lean ground beef

2 tablespoons homemade taco seasoning (or store-bought)

1/2 cup diced white or yellow onion

*Sugar’s Note: I love the red onions)

1 teaspoon minced garlic

1 14.5 ounce can fire roasted, diced tomatoes

1 8 ounce can tomato sauce

1-1/2 cup cooked long grain white rice see note below

1 4 ounce can diced green chiles, drained

1 15 ounce can black beans, drained

1 cup frozen corn no need to thaw

*       1 can of corn can also work)

1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper optional

1-1/2 to 2 cups shredded cheese cheddar, Jack, or Mexican blend

Optional toppings - sour cream thinly sliced green onion, chopped avocado,
olives, chopped cilantro, diced tomato, salsa

Preheat oven to 400F.

Slice tops off peppers, remove seeds and trim ribs, if necessary.

Place peppers in a baking dish and add about 1" of water.

Cover with foil and bake in preheated oven for 20 minutes, until slightly
tender.

Remove from oven and reduce oven temperature to 375 degrees F.

Remove peppers from baking dish and pour off water.

Return peppers to baking dish.

While peppers are in the oven, add 1 tablespoon vegetable oil to a large saute
pan and place over medium-high heat.

*Sugar’s Note” I like to use the different infused oils such as Garlic and
extra virgin olive oil(they do have other infused flavors)

Add ground beef and cook, stirring to break up the beef, until browned and
cooked through.

Drain off as much grease as possible from the pan.

Return the pan to the heat, add onion and garlic and cook till tender.(about 10
minutes or so)

Reduce heat to medium and add the taco seasoning, tomatoes, tomato sauce,
beans, rice, green chiles, frozen corn, crushed red pepper (if using), and 1
cup cheese.

Cook until combined and cheese has melted.

Fill peppers with the beef mixture and return to baking dish.

Cover with foil and bake at 375 degrees F for 25 minutes to 30 minutes, or
until peppers are very tender and filling is heated through.

Remove foil, top with remaining shredded cheese, and bake for an additional 5
minutes until cheese has melted.

RECIPE NOTES

This recipe will make enough to fill 6 large or 8 medium sized bell peppers.

Cook your rice before beginning filling.

To yield 1-1/2 cups cooked rice, use 1/2 cup rice to 1 cup water and cook
according to the package directions.

Feel free to make some or all of the following changes to suit your nutritional
preferences:

- Substitute lean ground turkey for the ground beef

- Use brown rice in place of the white rice

- Reduce or eliminate the cheese in the filling

- - Winnie the Pooh

🙏, 😘

-Sugar