From: Pamela Fairchild via Cookinginthedark
Sent: Sunday, July 12, 2020 10:25 AM
To: cookinginthedark@acbradio.org
Cc: pamelafairch...@comcast.net
Subject: Re: [CnD] Kitchen bloopers: Re: More books written for the blind

My most embarrassing but instructive kitchen blooper happened when I was in my
first college apartment and involved a paper towel. I learned to keep my
counter and range tops free and clear of everything. The paper towel stuck to
the bottom of a damp cookie sheet and went into the oven with the cookies. It
smelled like smoke in my kitchen but went away as soon as the oven cooled down.
My inspection didn't reveal anything in the oven when I looked, but again,
smoke when I turned it on again. Sighted help revealed the paper towel which
had fallen through the bars of the oven rack to the bottom of the oven.
Fortunately it did not have contact with the electric element so there were no
flames, but it was a very dried out paper towel by the time it was rescued.
The only real flames I ever produced were a potholder that got its corner
between the burner and the pot I was working with. I was trying to pop corn in
an aluminum pan with a lid which was really the inside of an old electric
popper, so the kettle bottom was round like a ball. I deserved what I got for
stupidity that time. No harm though, I just put the potholder into a sink of
water. I had to throw the potholder away but there was no damage to the pot or
kitchen. I gave the pot away or maybe just tossed it too. I had inherited it
from a sighted person who had been popping corn in it for years. I learned
there were a few things more risky than I wanted to do the same as my friends.

Pamela Fairchild
<pamelafairch...@comcast.net>