If you partly cut into a mellon then roll that mellon forward some and
continue cutting the mellon unless it's really ripe usually holds
together until the cut you made goes mostly around the mellon getting a
stable cutting area that doesn't suddenly collapse on you and making
your knife do unpredictible things.  I found use of a serated knife most
effective for cutting mellons too.