I decided to go to that big encyclopedia in the sky, Google, to find out the
ultimate answer to the question of whether you need to rinse rice.  The answer
is, it's complicated.  And there are lots of opinions.  There are lots of
cultures with their own traditions.  And there are lots of kinds of rice, even
if you don't count minute rice.

I read that varieties like jasmine need to be soaked, not just rinsed, and that
they will need less water if you soak them.  But converted or parboiled has
already been steamed before the husk is removed, so the argument goes that
converted rice does not need to be soaked or rinsed.

Consumer Reports has been putting out articles for years about the dangers of
arsenic in our soil, and they recommend rinsing  rice.  But apparently, some
other authorities and opinion makers say that rinsing has little effect on the
arsenic but is very good at removing nutrients.  The argument goes on and on
and on.  Long on opinions, short on actual evidence to back up claims.  There
are lots of people on all sides of the argument who think that having a blog or
a You-tube channel makes them an authority.  So after a couple of Google
searches, I am more confused than ever and still don't know the answer, except
that I didn't know that rice was so complicated.

I kept reading that in "Asia", people have traditionally soaked their rice. Or
they have traditionally rinsed their rice.  But Asia is a very big place, lots
of different cultures, lots of different varieties of rice for that matter.
Rinsing and soaking are also two very different things.  So when people on the
web start talking about Asia or Asians, it may not be clear what they are
talking about, or even if they themselves know what they are talking about.

So far, I have not been a rice rinser or soaker.  But I am not against trying
it with the right kind of rice.  Rinsing and soaking were not done in my
household when I was growing up.  So this decision was not based on any
particular knowledge. I would be willing to try it with the right kind of rice
or the right recipe.

There is a book on BARD just about rice.  Rice, the amazing grain: great rice
dishes for every day DB35281
Simmons, Marie. Reading time: 8 hours, 58 minutes.
Read by Patricia McDermott. National Library Service for the Blind and
Physically Handicapped, Library of Congress.

Cooking

Simmons's introduction includes a brief mix of history, vocabulary, and facts
about rice. The bulk of the book consists of recipe after recipe featuring the
increasingly popular grain. More than 150 entrees, salads, soups, and desserts
are included. The recipes in the chapter entitled "Little Rich Dishes" are all
appropriate for "snacking or grazing." The book reflects Simmons's cooking
style.