Yo:

Several people wrote to me in the last couple of days about different problems
with respect to the latest coot update in fink. This all happened at the
beginning of term so I haven't really had enough time to deal with this
systematically.

Briefly, I put coot 0.6 is in the stable and unstable branch of fink sometime
around the Unorthodox Holiday.  Subsequently I updated two dependency packages
in the unstable branch of fink:  guile18-gtk and clipper, and then updated to
one of the 0.6.1 pre-releases in unstable (revision-2678). I don't want to
touch what is in "stable" until I know it is in fact "stable."  Any or all of
these could have created problems (although I tested these on a variety of
machines and didn't notice anything).

If you run the command

% fink list -i coot clipper guile18-gtk

you should see something like this:

Information about 8154 packages read in 1 seconds.
 i   clipper-shlibs           1:2.1-14           Object-oriented
crystallographic libraries
 i   coot                     0.6.1-pre-1-1      Crystallographic molecular
graphics
 i   coot-shlibs              0.6.1-pre-1-1      Crystallographic molecular
graphics
 i   guile18-gtk              2.1-2              Glue code to link gtk to guile
 i   guile18-gtk-shlibs       2.1-2              Glue code to link gtk to guile

If you have earlier versions, please update.

I also recommend

(a) having the most recent version of Xcode (the apple compilers, etc)
compatible with your OS
(b) Apple's official X11 distribution if you are on 10.6 or plan to update to
10.6.
(c) if you have a 64-bit capable machine, use the 64-bit fink, ccp4, etc. as
this is the future

If I haven't gotten back to you, email me again please, and include every
relevant detail (version of OS X, fink version, Xcode version, X11 version,
output of above command, etc.) and I will do my best to try to deduce what
might be problematic.  Meanwhile, please accept my apologies.

Bill