I am wondering how the "goodness" scale for density fit analysis is determined.
I have a case here where to the eye there is a very good fit of model to density
throughout 99% of the unit cell, yet the validation tool marks most residues
with a big red bar.

Is there some hidden property [e.g. map gradient?] that triggers a bad
validation score even though the fit to density looks fine by visual inspection
at a single contour level?

Is the good-to-bad scale normalized to the individual structure, so that
a 'good everywhere' structure looks 'uniformly bad' in the validation tool?

Would the presence of large difference peaks outside the area of the current
model make any difference?

--
Ethan A Merritt
Biomolecular Structure Center