On 23/06/10 13:26, Schubert, Carsten [PRDUS] wrote:
I wonder if anyone has a solution to this problem. We are starting to
run coot (0.6.2 pre) on SuSe Enterprise 10.x edition machines. The load
times per session are approx 2 minutes, before coot is up and running.

Hideous.  But I'd mostly lay that at SLED's door, rather than Coot's.

the same server. A bit of digging revealed that per load of coot ca 3100
lines of error messages are created in /var/log/messages dealing with
the inability to find /home/emsley.

It was my understanding that the use of LD_LIBRARY_PATH should trump the built-in paths (I mean that the build-in paths should not even be looked up because dynamic libraries are resolved by using LD_LIBRARY_PATH directories). It would seem that SuSe does not do that.

Is there any way to get rid of these references in the pre-compiled
binaries?

Not that I know of  (other than by editing).

Where should I start digging?

It's build into the libraries at a low level. We discussed a means to address this with relative paths a little while ago - that solution has yet to be explored and implemented.

I suppose the easiest solution
would be to create a /home/emsley and be done with it,

urgh.

  but our IT guys won't do it unless this is the last resort.

I am sympathetic that that.

Any help to fix this annoyance would be greatly appreciated.

You could binary edit the coot-real executable and replace directories that do not exist on your system with others that do (keeping the string length the same).

It may help if I made SuSe-specific binaries - one day I'll get a SuSe box (or virtual machine).

Or you could build the binaries yourself.