Dear Evan,

I get this kind of error message after a kernel update that affects the
nvidia driver module for my graphics card. After a quick re-installation
of the nvidia-driver the problem is usually solved.

If you really upgraded your system as opposed to a fresh installation,
this might be the reason, e.g. some left over graphics library.

Tim

On 09/22/2011 02:55 AM, Evan Kantrowitz wrote:
> Hi,
>
>    I upgraded my ubuntu system to 11.04 and am having trouble getting coot
> running.  I tried downloading the ubuntu build, as well as the centos, both
> gave the same error.  (see below).  I also tried installation from the debian
> archive files and installing from source code via the autobuild script. I had
> trouble with the autobuild, but everything that did build or I downloaded I
> got the same error.
>
> The splash screen comes up, disappears and get this error
>

> Spacegroup: P 1
> Cell: 40.631 109.18 93.243 90 90 90
> The program 'coot-real' received an X Window System error.
> This probably reflects a bug in the program.
> The error was 'BadWindow (invalid Window parameter)'.
>   (Details: serial 394 error_code 3 request_code 138 minor_code 4)
>   (Note to programmers: normally, X errors are reported asynchronously;
>    that is, you will receive the error a while after causing it.
>    To debug your program, run it with the --sync command line
>    option to change this behavior. You can then get a meaningful
>    backtrace from your debugger if you break on the gdk_x_error() function.)
>
> Any help would be appreciated.
>
> Thanks
>
> Evan

- --