Hello,

> On 9 Jun 2020, at 02:39, Paul Emsley <pems...@mrc-lmb.cam.ac.uk> wrote:
>
> Keen as I am for people to (successfully) compile the source code, I don't
> think that it's necessary in this case - you just need to activate the
> relevant modules from the Calculate menu.

It may not be necessary in Saif’s case, but in general it would be nice if
anyone could fully exercise freedom 0 (run the software) not necessarily from
pre-built binary or having to install the entire CCP4 suite. Coot is very
helpful, and there are definitely use cases for it outside of the CCP4 suite.

I tried to compile Coot from the current (as of yesterday) git commit, and
could not figure it out in a reasonable amount of time (still haven’t figured
it our, in fact). The INSTALL file starts by mentioning the usual ./configure ;
make ; make install, but the repository does not seem to contain a configure
script. Further down in the INSTALL file, I am instructed to run build-it as
the recommended automatic option, so I tried that: it downloads a few things
and seems to stop there, not telling me what to do next.

Would you (or anybody else who’s successfully compiled Coot) mind clarifying
how to get Coot compiled, please? ideally with an update of the INSTALL file,
or README, or any file you think is appropriate as long as it is stored within
the repository with an obvious file name.

Thank you in advance,

Guillaume