On Wed, 2021-06-02 at 15:56 +0100, Paul Emsley wrote:
> On Tue, 2021-06-01 at 20:45 +0100, David M Dranow wrote:
> > Does anyone have a decent set of refinement parameters for Coot 0.9.5 in
> > linux?  My colleagues and I find that using
> > the "r" shortcut causes most waters to fly off and center on carbons,
> > sometimes as far away as 45 Å!  I've tried to
> > change the overall weight and Lennard-Jones epsilon, and  Geman-McClure
> > alpha and I find no combination that keeps
> > all
> > waters within the density that they already are in.  I'd be happy to
> > provide a model and map to demonstrate this
> > phenomenon.  Our current work-around is to use R, but this is not ideal.
> > If anyone has any idea how to fix this, we
> > would greatly appreciate any advice.
> >

> This reminds me of the exchange about the new refinement on CCP4BB some time
> ago. Briefly, people reported problems
> that
> I wasn't seeing.
>
> So I'd like to see what you see. Either make a screencast of your session or
> conjure up a coordinates file and a list
> of coot operations that makes the issue apparent. Until then, I am in the
> dark.

Thanks to files provided by Philip Kiser I now see the problem.

First, one had to create an unorthodox model - one that included a bad
non-bonded contact distance to a water
(this is not something I do)
Second, one had to refine just the water, and not the residues to which it was
hydrogen-bonded or other atoms in
the environment
(this is not something I do either)

By its nature, refinement of this sort will give a considerable kick to a bad
water.
I have therefore introduced an optional "Soft Mode" for non-bonded-contact
restraints.
set_refinement_use_soft_mode_nbc_restraints(flag)

This is available now in the repo and will be in the next release.

But for me, the lessons are: Don't create models with poorly placed waters in
the first place. But if you do, don't do
isolated refinement of the waters one by one.