<COOT@JISCMAIL.AC.UK> On Behalf Of mesters
Sent: Wednesday, March 2, 2022 7:46 AM
To: COOT@JISCMAIL.AC.UK
Subject: [EXTERNAL] Re: Coot Stereo Issue

EXTERNAL EMAIL: Use caution before replying, clicking links, and opening
attachments.

Hi Pedro,

Zhuang's problem was finally solved by installation of the latest nvidia
graphics card driver 511.79.

WinCoot works on windows 10, no doubt: Nvidia however stopped supporting the 3D
Vision kit from within (professional) graphics drivers and instead offers a
stand-alone separate 3D Vision driver 390.41 that will not be updated in the
future (only in case of security issues). So, how long this work-around will be
useful is unknown..... For the future this means, one probably needs to
purchase the much more expensive GPUs...

For linux, there is an absolute requirement for the 3-pin connector (either
build-in or attachable via bracket) as the USB-based 3D Vision kit was never
actively supported by Nvidia under linux (and that is indeed a commercial
decision...).

"Specs" will not help to select the GPU as even the small P400 or P620 offers -
according to specs - 3D quad-buffered openGL stereo support (that is, under
Windows and making use of the 3D Vision kit). What you need under Linux is an
nvidia GPU with an on-board 3-pin DIN stereo connector or, a GPU with a
connector for the 3-pin DIN stereo bracket (NVIDIA 699-50764-0000-001 or PNY
930-50764). So, for the GPU, one needs to pick a second hand model such as K /
M /P4000, or newer models such as rtx 4000 or rtx a4000 (a2000 will not work)...

Cheers,

Jeroen