On Tuesday, August 30, 2016 7:22:25 AM CEST Michal Novotny wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 29, 2016 at 3:33 PM, Pavel Raiskup <prais...@redhat.com> wrote:
> >   * You can lower the BE<->FE traffic, and significantly lower IO on
> >     front-end --> because then you can first allocate appropriate VM, and
> >     right after that assign job (not vice versa: take job, then try to
> >     take VM and possibly defer the job).
> >

> You wouldn't exactly allocate appropriate VM. Rather, some VMs were
> preallocated (ideally taking all the available resources and all busy
> building) and you would acquire a new build job of the fitting arch when one
> of them became free.

That's what I meant, but now it is correctly worded.

> I am not sure if we can completely remove job deferring because it is good for
> cases when a backend took a job it cannot (currently) handle.
> That, in theory, shouldn't happen with this approach of taking jobs only
> if there is an available VM of the job's required arch but you never
> know and deferring is better than dropping.

.. though s/defer/resubmit/ sounds better.  Currently it looks like such
error-handling is not implemented anyway, we drop the build and it is
re-submitted after some deadline.  Also the "defer" action would be rather
about trivial "running" -> "pending" transition.

Pavel