David,

Thanks for the review.

Whether the application shutdown hooks should always be invoked first is a good question. The Console shutdown hook is added to restore the console after prompting for a password to fix: 6363043 Console will not return to original state when the process is killed with Ctrl+C (sol)

I consulted with Sherman some time back about the shutdown hook ordering. The Console restores the state before the application shutdown hook is to enable the application shutdown hooks that use Console to work properly.

While working on this fix, I also observed the issue you point out - we won't restore the state of the console if the first use of the console is by an application shutdown or by some other thread when shutdown has commenced. It is only an issue when it gets terminated in the middle of reading the password. Normal return of the Console.readPassword method will restore the state.

I consulted with Alan. He points out that it would go against all recommendations to prompt for a password in a shutdown hook. He suggests to leave the existing behavior as it is.

Alan, Sherman,
Do you have any comments on the order of Console shutdown hook and application shutdown hooks? It seems sensible that the application shutdown hooks should run first and then other "internal hooks" as David said.

Thanks
Mandy

David Holmes - Sun Microsystems wrote:
Hi Mandy,

Looks good but I have one query.

At the top-level there are 3 shutdown hooks:

- console hook
- application hooks
- deleteOnExit hook

and they run in this order. The deleteOnExit hook can be added when shutdown is in progress, so this allows first-use of deleteOnExit during an application shutdown hook. Okay - that's fine and solves current problem very neatly.

But the Console hook that restores the echo state runs first, so if the first use of the console is by an application shutdown hook, or by some other thread when shutdown has commenced, then we won't restore the state of the console. I guess that's how it currently works anyway, but it seems strange. I'm not familiar with the Console but I would have expected (naively perhaps) the application shutdown hooks to run first and then any "internal hooks". That way we would always restore the state (though I guess there is potentially a race with active threads still using the console).

David