2009/4/29 Martin Buchholz <marti...@google.com>:
> Since writing this, I have learned, to my horror, that the
> behavior of the -C flag differs from the behavior in tar in that
>
> - -C is not sticky - it applies only to the one following argument
>
> - the path is relative to the JDK's current directory, not the
> previous -C directory.
>
> despite assurances from jar(1)
>
>          -C  dir
>             Temporarily changes directories (cd dir) during execution of the
>             jar command while processing the following inputfiles argument.
>             Its operation is intended to be similar to the -C option of the
>             UNIX tar utility.
>
> If you squint, you can see that it says "argument", not "arguments".
>
> Martin
>
> On Mon, Apr 27, 2009 at 17:54, Martin Buchholz <marti...@google.com> wrote:
>>  I believe the better fix would be
>> to eviscerate the code that handles the "-C" flag and do it right,
>

>> Someone who cares about the Makefiles can also try to remove the
>> 16000 gratuitous -C flags that makes jar's life "jar hell".
>>
>> Martin

Martin,

Thanks a lot for this patch.  We've seen good speedups with it applied.

The thread here reads very strangely; did a number of mails go to a
different mail list or only to private mail addresses?
There's also seems to be no mention of this being applied to OpenJDK6:
http://hg.openjdk.java.net/jdk6/jdk6/jdk/rev/b35f1e5075a4
That changeset seems to have been merged together with several others;
was there a reason the changesets were not imported individually so as
to retain the history?

Andrew :-)

Free Java Software Engineer
Red Hat, Inc. (http://www.redhat.com)

Support Free Java!
http://www.gnu.org/software/classpath
http://openjdk.java.net

PGP Key: 94EFD9D8 (http://subkeys.pgp.net)
Fingerprint: F8EF F1EA 401E 2E60 15FA  7927 142C 2591 94EF D9D8