Alan Bateman wrote:
I agree it would be good to avoid loading/initializing ObjectStreamClass (as you say, we have to load ObjectStreamField as the serialPersistentFields is part of Class, String, and other APIs). My only concern is that ObjectStreamField doesn't seem to be the right place for this (as it's concerned with serializable fields) and it's a bit strange for ObjectStreamClass to call into ObjectStreamField to get a class signature. Have you considered alternatives, say duplicating this method, or maybe a ClassSignature class?

I agree ObjectStreamField is not quite the right place for this method. Duplicating this method may be a better option for this case (that I typically try to avoid). I can make this change.

I try to avoid adding a new class just for this one method. I tried to find an existing class for this method but there doesn't seem to have a good one.

Mandy