On 16 December 2010 16:39, Neil Richards <neil.richa...@ngmr.net> wrote:
> On 13 December 2010 20:04, Neil Richards <neil.richa...@ngmr.net> wrote:
>> On 13 December 2010 18:46, Alan Bateman <alan.bate...@oracle.com> wrote:
>>> I haven't looked at your patch in detail yet but I suspect there may be
>>> similar issues in other places (like j.u.Hashtable) once you are done with
>>> Vector.
>>
>> You are correct, there is a similar issue in Hashtable.
>> I'm currently in the process of working up another fix and testcase
>> for that, which I hope to submit separately shortly.
>
> I now notice that there isn't a bug in Java bug database exactly for
> the problem in Hashtable - though it's obviously related to 6934356,
> and to 4741471 (which removed writeObject() synchronization from the
> unsynchronized collection classes).
>
> (As in Vector, the problem in Hashtable has existed since 1.4).
>
> In this case, can I raise an entry in the OpenJDK bug database for the
> problem in Hashtable, or do I need to get it raised in the Java bug
> database?

Commits to OpenJDK still require a bugs.sun.com ID.  There was a plan nearly
two years ago to actually make the OpenJDK bugzilla more useful
(see http://openjdk.java.net/groups/web/bugzilla.html) but I've not heard of any
progress on this.

While we're still stuck with the bugs.sun.com system, It's easiest to
just ask one of the
Oracle developers to allocate a bug ID.  They seem to be able to do so
fairly instantaneously
whereas it takes a lot longer externally.

http://openjdk.java.net/guide/producingChangeset.html tells you how to
provide an appropriate
Mercurial changeset for commit.  Commit comments are in a rigid format
controlled by a proprietary jcheck
script running on the OpenJDK servers and this will reject commit
matches that don't match the format or have a
duplicate bug IDs as well as patches which don't meet the whitespace
formatting requirements (and probably numerous
other checks that we don't know about).

> Any guidance gratefully received,
> Thanks,
> Neil
>
> PS: What is the standard way of referring to a bug from one system or
> the other? Or are the bug numbers from each system sufficiently far
> apart to avoid ambiguity that way?
>
> --
> Unless stated above:
> Work email: neil_richards at uk.ibm.com
> 741598.

Andrew :-)

Free Java Software Engineer
Red Hat, Inc. (http://www.redhat.com)

Support Free Java!
http://www.gnu.org/software/classpath
http://openjdk.java.net

PGP Key: 94EFD9D8 (http://subkeys.pgp.net)
Fingerprint: F8EF F1EA 401E 2E60 15FA  7927 142C 2591 94EF D9D8