Brian,

My implementation of asNonNull() is as follows: return (o != null) ? o :
fallbackObj.

That is a conversion that can succeed.

However, the conversation clearly has shown we need this (1) a null-safe
conversion method and (2) and a NPE-throwing check method. I was only
referring to the #1 and that's why I think "as" works here. For the latter,
I prefer "check" or "validate" to throw NPE when null is an error.

Paul