On 19:21 Wed 13 Jul     , joe.da...@oracle.com wrote:
> Hello.
>
> Please code review my JDK 8 changes for
>
>     7007535: (reflect) Please generalize Constructor and Method
>     http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~darcy/7007535.3
>
> To summarize the changes, a new superclass is defined to capture the
> common functionality of java.lang.reflect.Method and
> java.lang.reflect.Constructor.  That superclass is named "Executable"
> along the lines of javax.lang.model.ExecutableElement, which models
> constructors and methods in the JSR 269 language model.
>
> Both specification and implementation code are shared.  To preserve the
> right @since behavior, it is common that in Method/Constructor the
> javadoc for a method will now look like:
>
> /**
>  * {@inheritDoc}
>  * @since 1.5
>  */
>
> Since Executable is being created in JDK 8, it would be incorrect for
> methods in that class to have an @since of 1.5; adding the @since in
> Method/Constructor preserves the right information.

I assume this is why we have some methods in the subclass that just
call the superclass.

> It would have been natural to also move common fields to Executable;
> however, HotSpot treats the Constructor and Method type specially and
> relies on the existing field ordering.  Since altering the field layout
> would require coordinated HotSpot changes, I'm opting to not perform
> such a change right now.  At least one abstract accessor method is
> declared in Executable to still allow code sharing even though the
> required field is not present.  In other cases, package private instance
> methods on Executable are passed the needed state from overridden public
> methods in Method/Constructor.
>
> All java/lang/reflect regression tests pass on a full build with these
> changes.

The changes look good (though hard to read in places due to additional
whitespace changes mixed in).  Nice to see these two finally being grouped
together.

--
Andrew :)

Free Java Software Engineer
Red Hat, Inc. (http://www.redhat.com)

Support Free Java!
Contribute to GNU Classpath and IcedTea
http://www.gnu.org/software/classpath
http://icedtea.classpath.org
PGP Key: F5862A37 (https://keys.indymedia.org/)
Fingerprint = EA30 D855 D50F 90CD F54D  0698 0713 C3ED F586 2A37