Michael McMahon wrote:
We could add a sentence to the existing  @throws clause for IAE.

So it would say "If |command| is empty, or on some platforms, may be thrown if command contains illegal characters".

I'm reluctant to be more precise than that, since as far as I know, there doesn't appear to be
any illegal characters for filenames in Unix.
I agree that you can't be too specific. I'm not sure if "illegal characters" should be in the wording as it begs the question as to which characters are legal. An alternative to trying to come up with some wording is to just specify the long standing behavior which seems to be that IOException is thrown if an I/O errors or the command line is malformed. I see David's reply pointing out that there are similar issues with ProcessBuilder. That is only specified to throw IndexOutOfBoundException if the command line is empty so it would be good to check those cases too.

-Alan.