On 5/2/2012 11:09 AM, Artem Ananiev wrote:
Hi, Mandy,

the client part of the fix looks fine.

Thanks for the review. I have pushed the changeset and hope you don't mind I couldn't fix the changeset comment to add you as a reviewer.

Let me ask a naive question, though.

From your explanation, I see that System.loadLibrary() is now aware of modules. What prevents us to change LoadLibraryAction the same way? "FROM" code looks much more elegant than the new (the old?) "TO" one.

I would say the old code is little compact than the new one and both versions look elegant to me.

The fix here is to get the caller of System.loadLibrary be in the same class loader as the native library being loaded (see ClassLoader.findLibrary).

Another alternative is that each component can have its own copy of LoadLibraryAction (e.g. sun.awt.LoadLibraryAction) and so you can modify the old code like this: java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(new sun.awt.LoadLibraryAction("awt"));

provided that sun.awt.LoadLibraryAction is loaded by the same class loader with whom awt.dll is associated. Adding one copy of this simple LoadLibraryAction utility class for each component seems overkill and also error-prone e.g. refactoring a module into two modules require adding another copy of this per-module utility class if both have native libraries. This is certainly an option if the component team prefers to use the utility class.

Mandy

Thanks,

Artem