On Jun 22 2012, at 10:01 , Xueming Shen wrote:

> Hi
>
> Here is the proposed change to support Unicode nfd/nfc and case insensitive
> file path on MacOSX file system.
>
> 7130915: File.equals does not give expected results when path contains
> Non-English characters on Mac OS X
> 7168427: FileInputStream cannot open file where the file path contains asian
> characters [macosx]
>
> While these two bug reports are only against java.io, we have the same issue
> in javax.nio.file.
> Here is the webrev
>
> (3) fs.compare()/hashCode() was updated to be case insensitive

Won't this cause problems on case sensitive file systems? The MacOSX filesystem
is by default case insensitive but case sensitive file systems are not entirely
uncommon.

> (4) hasCode() was updated to use the new String.hash32().

It's possible that this interface may not make it into Java 8. Doug Lea has an
alternate proposal for hash based maps that would make this interface
unnecessary.

> (7) compare is now are case-insensitive

Repeated concern about implications for case sensitive file systems.

Mike