Hi Joe,

Thank you for the sanity check.

I had added the following to the top of the javadoc (still playing with the
wording):

As of Java SE 8, the method getLargeUpdateCount has been added to provide
support for update counts that may be exceed Integer.MAX_VALUE and returned by
the method Statement.executeLargeBatch. A JDBC driver implementation is
required to throw BatchUpdateException(String reason, String SQLState, int
vendorCode, long []updateCounts,Throwable cause) if an error occurs during the
the execution of Statement.executeLargeBatch. If Statement.executeLargeBatch is
invoked it is recommended that getLargeUpdateCounts be called instead of
getUpdateCounts in order to avoid a possible overflow of the integer update
count.

Best
Lance

On Nov 26, 2012, at 1:51 AM, Joe Darcy wrote:

> Hi Lance,
>
> I don't see an obvious problem with the code, but I strongly suggest
> documenting the correctness conditions regarding the updateCounts and
> longUpdateCounts fields; I think that would ease reviewing the new
> constructors and serialization code.
>
> Cheers,
>
> -Joe
>
> On 11/24/2012 2:05 PM, Lance Andersen - Oracle wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> For JDBC 4.2, I am adding methods to allow for larger update counts (request
>> from JDBC driver vendors)  and because of this I have to tweak
>> BatchUpdateException
>>
>> The Statement interface has the method
>>
>> int[] executeBatch()
>>
>> I am planning to add
>>
>> long[] executeLargeBatch().
>>
>> To accomodate this change, I  also need to add a new field and the method
>> getLargeUpdateCount to BatchUpdateException.
>>
>> I have exchanged emails on this with Alan and he indicated that the changes
>> seemed reasonable but to send a general email out to see if anything was
>> missed from the serialization perspective.
>>
>> I have added JDBC Unit tests to validate that the
>> serialization/deserialization works between JDBC 4.1 and JDBC 4.2 and they
>> run without a problem.
>>

>> Best
>> Lance
>>
>> new-host-2:sql lanceandersen$ diff BatchUpdateException.java
>> ~/NetBeansProjects/JDBC4.2/jdbc4.0/src/java/sql/
>> 2c2
>> <  * Copyright (c) 1998, 2011, Oracle and/or its affiliates. All rights
>> reserved.
>> ---
>>>  * Copyright (c) 1998, 2012, Oracle and/or its affiliates. All rights
>>> reserved.
>> 27a28,31
>>> import java.io.IOException;
>>> import java.io.InvalidObjectException;
>>> import java.io.ObjectInputStream;