I've created a new bug: https://jbs.oracle.com/bugs/browse/JDK-8005118 - I'll address the consistency issues there, and treat the NPE specs separately.

Jim

On 12/17/2012 11:29 AM, Jim Gish wrote:

On 12/15/2012 08:58 AM, Alan Bateman wrote:
On 14/12/2012 22:49, Jim Gish wrote:
Please review http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~jgish/Bug4247235-Add-Blanket-Null-Stmt/ <http://cr.openjdk.java.net/%7Ejgish/Bug4247235-Add-Blanket-Null-Stmt/>

This minor spec change (which will require CCC approval), adds blanket null-handling statements to both StringBuffer and StringBuilder, equivalent to the one already in String.
It looks like most (all?) of the methods defined by StringBuffer and StringBuilder that can throw NPE already specify it. Are you planning on removing the @throws from the methods?
I left it as is to raise this very point. In a previous proposed change, adding a method somewhere that was explicit about throwing NPE, someone brought up the issue that we should rely on a blanket statement and not clutter the javadoc with @throws NPE.

Should we, in fact, be removing these method-specific @throws specs?

I aimed for self-consistency here -- keeping what was already in place. This was intentional to raise the point of whether everything should be brought up to date.

Thanks,
   Jim

-Alan.

--
Jim Gish | Consulting Member of Technical Staff | +1.781.442.0304
Oracle Java Platform Group | Core Libraries Team