On 01/28/2013 12:49 PM, Alan Bateman wrote:
On 25/01/2013 17:55, Peter Levart wrote:

:

The solution is actually very simple. I just want to validate my reasoning before jumping to implement it:

- for solving scalability of getProxyClass cache, a field with a reference to ConcurrentHashMap<List<String>, Class<? extends Proxy>> is added to j.l.ClassLoader - for solving scalability of isProxyClass, a field with a reference to ConcurrentHashMap<Class<? extends Proxy>, Boolean> is added to j.l.ClassLoader
I haven't had time to look very closely as your more recent changes (you are clearly doing very good work here). The only thing I wonder if whether it would be possible to avoid adding to ClassLoader. I can't say what percentage of frameworks and applications use proxies but it would be nice if the impact on applications that don't use proxies is zero.
Hi Alan,

Hm, well. Any application that uses run-time annotations, is implicitly using Proxies. But I agree that there are applications that don't use either. Such applications usually don't use many ClassLoaders either. Applications that use many ClassLoaders are typically application servers or applications written for modular systems (such as OSGI or NetBeans) and all those applications are also full of runtime annotations nowadays. So a typical application that does not use neither Proxies nor runtime annotations is composed of bootstrap classloader, AppClassLoader and ExtClassLoader. The ConcurrentHashMap for the bootstrap classloader is hosted by j.l.r.Proxy class and is only initialized when the j.l.r.Proxy class is initialized - so in this case never. The overhead for such applications is therefore an empty ConcurrentHashMap instance plus the overhead for a pointer slot in the ClassLoader object multiplied by the number of ClassLoaders (typically 2). An empty ConcurrentHashMap in JDK8 is only pre-allocating a single internal Segment:

java.util.concurrent.ConcurrentHashMap@642b6fc7(48 bytes) {
  keySet: null
  values: null
  hashSeed: int
  segmentMask: int
  segmentShift: int
segments: java.util.concurrent.ConcurrentHashMap$Segment[16]@8e1dfb1(80 bytes) {
java.util.concurrent.ConcurrentHashMap$Segment@2524e205(40 bytes) {
sync: java.util.concurrent.locks.ReentrantLock$NonfairSync@17feafba(32 bytes) {
        exclusiveOwnerThread: null
        head: null
        tail: null
        state: int
      }->(32 deep bytes)
table: java.util.concurrent.ConcurrentHashMap$HashEntry[2]@1c3aacb4(24 bytes) {
        null
        null
      }->(24 deep bytes)
      count: int
      modCount: int
      threshold: int
      loadFactor: float
    }->(96 deep bytes)
    null
    null
    null
    null
    null
    null
    null
    null
    null
    null
    null
    null
    null
    null
    null
  }->(176 deep bytes)
  keySet: null
  entrySet: null
  values: null
}->(224 deep bytes)

...therefore the overhead is approx. 224+4 = 228 bytes (on 32 bit pointer environments) per ClassLoader. In typical application (with 2 ClassLoader objects) this amounts to approx. 456 bytes.

Is 456 bytes overhead too much?

If it is, I could do lazy initialization of per-classloader CHM instances, but then the fast-path would incur a little additional penalty (not to be taken seriously though).

Regards, Peter

P.S. I was inspecting the ClassValue internal implementation. This is a very nice piece of Java code. Without using any Unsafe magic, it provides a perfect performant an scalable map of lazily initialized independent data structures associated with Class instances. There's nothing special about ClassValue/ClassValueMap that would tie it to Class instances. In fact I think the ClassValueMap could be made generic so it could be reused for implementing a ClasLoaderValue, for example. This would provide a more performant and scalable alternative to using WeakHashMap<ClassLoader, ...> wrapped by synchronized wrappers for other uses. If anything like that happens in the future, the proposed patch can be quickly adapted to using that infrastructure instead of a direct reference in the ClassLoader.

-Alan