On 02/19/2013 07:40 PM, Joe Darcy wrote:
On 02/19/2013 07:14 AM, Chris Hegarty wrote:
On 02/19/2013 03:08 PM, Alan Bateman wrote:
On 19/02/2013 14:39, Chris Hegarty wrote:
:

Oh, please god no! I find the way the buffer classes are generated a
real pain. Yes, it is good for maintaining consistency across similar
versions, but I don't see that as a good justification to introduce
this complexity. I was secretly hoping that nio Buffer generation
would go away in jdk8.
I assume the "pain" with the generated buffer classes is in the IDE so
you need to remember to include the gensrc tree in the project.
Right, but this assumes you to have a build. They also don't play well
with tools that index the source, like opengrok.

As an aside, a code generation technique that should play better with tooling would to be use an annotation processor to generate the code from within the context of the compiler/IDE. As a general-purpose meta-programming system, annotation processing doesn't have to be tied to annotations.

hence the name :)

-Joe

RĂ©mi