On 03/01/2013 05:48 PM, Mandy Chung wrote:
On 3/1/2013 1:25 PM, Jim Gish wrote:
Please review http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~jgish/Bug8002070-RemoveResourceBundleStackSearch/
This removes the stack search from Logger.findResourceBundle()

It's good to see this stack walk search of resource bundle going away.

In Logger.java, the existing implementation returns the previous cached resource bundle if it fails to find one matching the current locale but the name matches:

1608         if (name.equals(catalogName)) {
1609             // Return the previous cached value for that name.
1610             // This may be null.
1611             return catalog;
1612         }

Your fix removes these lines which I think is fine. The Logger.getResourceBundle method specifies to return the resource bundle for this logger for the current default locale. I think it'd be rare to change the default locale during the execution of an application.
The old behavior upon reaching this point in the code was as follows:
To get here, the sought after bundle was not found and (from the checks on line 1559,1560), either (1) the previously cached catalog was null, meaning nothing was yet cached and so null was returned, or (2) the current locale had changed and no bundle for that locale was found, in which case the cached bundle (for the old/wrong locale) was returned, or (3) the name was the same but the location of the objects used to compare the cached name with that passed in was different, so the previously cached bundle was returned (this is frankly an odd case, because it also means that re-searching for a previously found bundle is now failing, which only seems possible if the bundle is/was (a) not available via the system classloader, (b) the context classloader, or (c), the classloaders up the call chain.

The new behavior /does /still allow for a change in the default locale. For example, if you first call findResourceBundleName("foo") and the default locale is US, it will search for the foo_US bundle and set catalogLocale=US, and catalogName=foo and return the foo_US bundle. If you then search for "foo" and have changed the default locale to DE (if that is indeed a valid locale), it will then search for foo_DE and if found set catalogLocale=DE and cache and return the foo_DE bundle. The /only /change in behavior that I see here, is that if you change the locale and the bundle is not found, null will be returned instead of the previously cached bundle (if one exists), for a /different/ locale.

So, the old behavior in effect had a notion of a default catalog, but only if you happened to find a bundle on a previous lookup and cache it. However, you wouldn't be guaranteed of acquiring this same bundle on a subsequent search if a search for a different name had intervened.

Thus, the new behavior is that if you search for a name/locale and it's not found, you will get null (every time). This seems better to me because it's consistent, explainable and simple.

I'd appreciate you verifying this.

Thanks,

Jim

I suggest to document this behavioral change as well in the bug report and CCC.

Thanks
Mandy

--
Jim Gish | Consulting Member of Technical Staff | +1.781.442.0304
Oracle Java Platform Group | Core Libraries Team