On 7/17/2013 10:29 PM, Dan Xu wrote:
I don't know the difference between (*env)->NewStringUTF(env, buf) and JNU_NewStringPlatform(env, buf). Does the JNU_NewStringPlatform() function currently fail to process non-western locale? According to the code, JNU_NewStringPlatform() is also trying to use the right encoding for the give string.
JNU_NewStringPlatform() is using the String(byte[] bytes) constructor. Javadoc says: "Constructs a new |String| by decoding the specified array of bytes using the platform's default charset ... The behavior of this constructor when the given bytes are not valid in the default charset is unspecified". In the most of cases the code page is "ISO-8859-1" by hysterical reasons (Win9x/WinMe) of user does not change the Java system property.

Currently in Java for Windows (in libraries and JVM, but not in AWT - I & Artem fixed it there) we got stupid decoding pipe: win32_UTF16(aka Windows Unicode)(JNI - 16bit WCHAR) -> ISO-8859-1(JVM - 8bit char) -> UTF16(Java - 16bit jchar).
It can be compared with TV stream HDTV->MPG4->HDTV.

Instead, (*env)->NewStringUTF(env, buf) call goes by pipe
win32_UTF16(aka Windows Unicode)(JNI) -> UTF8 (JVM multibyte 8bit!)-> UTF16(Java) without information loss and has no dependance from user's fantasy about system locale.

Regards,
-uta

Other changes look good to me. Thanks for fixing getLastErrorString function in io_util_md.c file.

-Dan