On 17/10/2013 20:25, Andrew wrote:
:

Is the intention for these 'exported' APIs to be eventually replaced by proper
parts of the specification (i.e. java.* or javax.*).  I'm not keen on the idea
of encouraging the use of APIs that are only in this implementation of the JDK.
Just to add to Mandy's comments, the boat debated a long time ago on some of these. For example the Java Debug Interface (JDI) was in Sun's JDK 1.2 (1998). Since then almost every IDE has been using it (I think Eclipse might have their own implementation). Looking back then maybe it should have been standardized a long time ago but it's not clear that it's worth doing now.

The HTTP server API has its own story. As I recall (and my memory is a bit hazy) then there wasn't agreement to include it as part of Java SE 6 and it had to be moved to a com.sun.net package so that it could be used for the web services APIs.

The history on SCTP is that it was still an IEFT draft at the time and that it would have been too premature to attempt to standardize an API. So the decision was to start out with a com.sun API and get experience with it before re-visiting in the future to see if there is strong need to define a standard API.

-Alan.