Hi Tristan,

Thanks for cleaning this up. I've gone ahead and pushed the revised changeset.

http://hg.openjdk.java.net/jdk9/dev/jdk/rev/eaa533e9778a

I did take the liberty of making a couple changes... first, I had to fix some whitespace issues (trailing whitespace on a line) that were caught by jcheck.

Second, I changed this line from ReadTimeoutTest.java:

    throw new Error("Unexpected error happen in reader:" + ie);

to be this instead:

    throw new Error("Unexpected interrupt", ie);

I had missed this in my earlier review.

The point here is to use the exception chaining mechanism, so that when the stack trace for the Error is printed, it includes a "caused by" segment with the stack trace from the original exception that had been caught. This provides better diagnostic information. The general rule is that any catch-and-rethrow should chain up the exception cause this way. The only exception (heh) to this rule is if including the cause would leak sensitive information to the caller. This situation basically never occurs in test code, though.

s'marks