On 17/03/2014 09:06, Ivan Gerasimov wrote:
Thank you Alan!

These two tests used the commands run from non very common location (/usr/bin/ instead of /bin/), so I suspect they have been rarely run. As it follows from the summaries, one of them ensures the VM doesn't crash; the other checks, whether the input/output streams are left open. Both tests in the case of a failure could interfere with other tests unless they run in the othervm mode.
That's why I thought it's better to add the flag.
If a test is badly behaved and is leaving streams open then I would agree with othervm. However these are old issues (right?) and should not be happening now. Also if a test tickles a bug that causes the VM to crash then jtreg will spin up a new VM for the next test. So if it's possible to avoid othervm then we should (and from what I can tell then these tests have been well behaved when running without othervm before).

:

For example, in test/java/lang/Runtime/exec/ConcurrentRead.java, if 'tee' hadn't been found, the test just silently exited.
Okay, it's not a big deal as it shouldn't happen but still worth considering as it would be a lot better (in my view) to not hide an issue that prevents the test from running.

:

IMO ideally, there should be a configurable part of the harness, where all the shell commands are set up.
So that they could be accessed by both Java and shell-based regtests.
test/lib/testlibrary is the place for test-suite wide infrastructure. I don't know if there are tests beyond the Process area that needs to do the same kind of thing.

For the Linux or Solaris-only tests then the tests now output an information message via System.err, I assume this should be System.out as it's not really an error or usage message.

Fixed it.
Thanks.

-Alan.