At the time it was originally written I don't think @apiNote existed.
I agree it would be good to get the separation in there. However my
current concern is getting the change back to jdk8u, and it seems that
the simplest solution might be the best to achieve that.

Perhaps later, I might then consider rechecking all of java.time for
non-normative stuff to go in a separate commit.

Stephen